Thursday, June 4, 2009

Sugar and Spice

Larkin has been very excited about beading lately... well, I guess lately is about a year and a half. A sampling of her recent work:
It has been interesting to see her beading process evolve. She has always liked the smallest beads. When we go to a craft store and I ask a clerk where to find beads for my 4 year old, they invariably point me to big bins of garish plastic monstrosities. Larkin wants the itty-bitty seed beads.

Her inclination has always been to sort beads according to size and/or color as she strings them. The results are interesting, but not what I think of as particularly aesthetically pleasing. Larkin asked me, at some point, what kind of necklace she could make me. I said I tend to like patterns. She asked what kind of pattern. I said something like three round beads, then one long bead, over and over again. She nodded and set to work. About two hours later the necklace on the far left was complete. Now she reminds me to put it on before I go out... and it's not even obvious that I'm wearing something my kid made.

No comments:

Post a Comment